Cautions: None known.
Signs of toxicity: None known.
* Psyllium is a very safe and effective laxative. Be sure to take
with plenty of water.
* Taking psyllium supplements several times a day may help to
* A high-fiber diet may help to reduce the chances of having diverticulosis,
which is characterized by tiny sacs (diverticula) along the outer
wall of the colon. When these tiny sacs become inflamed and cause
severe pain, a doctor's attention is needed immediately.
* Aids in the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome. Psyllium
seed is safe even if taken for extended lengths of time and is
* Fiber slows the intestinal absorption of sugar and helps to
level out blood sugar levels. Diabetics who took 2 rounded tablespoons
of psyllium fiber before meals showed a drop in their postmeal
blood sugar levels by as much as 20 percent.